Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Comfort of a Cocktail

I used to be intimidated by alcohol.  I didn't know what to do with it but pour it into half a glass of orange juice or Coca Cola, neither of which I like very much.  In recent years, though, I've begun to understand it.  There was no specific experience or learning curve that brought upon this understanding.  It just happened.  One day I found that I like whiskey.  I'd tried whiskey before, but it never suited me.  Until one day.  Now, I can pour some whiskey over some ice, add some sweet or dry vermouth, a dash of bitters, maybe an orange slice or a lemon twist, or some brandy with grenadine and sweet vermouth, or just benedectine.  Or a little benedectine and some lemon juice.  I just get it.  And in that, I feel secure, at home, comfortable.

No comments: