Friday, January 4, 2013

The City Prolific: First Weekend of the Year Events Jan. 4 - 6

I'm not much one for making New Year's resolutions, although I am one for reflection, and goal-making.  I've also recently, say, in the last three years, become one for planning.  I've found that making a plan is far more effective for me than making goals, and certainly more so than making resolutions.

One could argue that this is just semantics, but there is a difference. A plan is comprised of actual, actionable steps, whereas a goal is, to me, just an image, a picture.  It's something you might want to realize, but how? The how is the plan. A resolution, on the other hand, is a mere abstraction. Meaningless.

That said, this year, I plan to soften the edges of my life by minimizing the number of activities to which I am committed.  This will entail saying 'no' more often (currently, the word 'yes' drops from my mouth far too often, weighing down my potential to succeed at any of the activities to which I've agreed). Whittling down will allow me to be generally more present and focused.

In addition, I plan (hope, rather) to maintain the feeling I experienced in this moment:



I was at the top of Alta Ski Resort, and transfixed by the sky.  Tiny flurries of snow glistened under the sun.  It was like being inside a snow globe.  I would like to maintain the sense of wonder and tranquility that I felt just then, as I stared up at the heavens.

I also plan to see more theatre. I saw almost no theatre last year, which is shameful. I'm an actor, for chrissakes.  So, my plans this weekend include:

"Their Eyes Saw Rain" at Company of Angels






I auditioned for this show, and gave what I can easily say is the worst audition of my life.  It was terrible.  Shit happens, especially to actors.  But, I loved the script, and am very glad the run was extended.  I know the sound designer. And I love that the company performs in the historic Alexandria Hotel. It's like stepping into Downtown LA circa 1931, in it's most gilded, glamorous age.

"Gravid Water" at UCB


Actors and improvisors perform together, the actors speaking their lines from established plays, and the improvisors improvising opposite them, with no prior knowledge of the scenes.  It's much fun.

Here are some more events for you to choose, for your first weekend of 2013:

FRIDAY, JANUARY 4TH

Horrible Movie Night

Everybody loves a good bad movie. Especially with an audience.  Horrible Movie Night at NerdMelt Comics schedules stand-up comedy based on the film to spice things up, and they welcome your heckling (during the movie, not the standup sets), and the wittiest heckles win a prize. Make sure you get your tickets in advance (they're cheaper that way).  

$8 in advance ($10 at the door) 

8:00pm (Doors 7:30)

NerdMelt Theater
7522 Sunset Blvd.
Hollywood, Calif., 90046



It's a 90's school pride night, with “But I’m a Cheerleader” (remember Natasha Lyonne and Clea Duvall? They're in it.) at 9pm followed by “Bring it On” at 11pm. First drinks are free for those with the $12 online tickets only. Get your boozy cheer on!

$12 online, $20 door

8:00pm

Downtown Independent Theater
251 S Main St
Los Angeles


Head to Exposition Park for the year's first First Fridays event at the Natural History Museum.  Music, cocktails, science, dinosaurs, what better?   

$12-18, Concert Ticket + Museum Admission ($18)/Museum Admission ($12)

2:30pm - 10pm

TOUR: 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm-

MUSIC: DJ: Aquarium Drunkard, 8pm Wildcat! Wildcat! and 9:15pm: Lord Huron. 

Natural History Museum
900 Exposition Blvd
Los Angeles 90007


Nique Ta Mère (French for MotherF*cker) is a public flash mob art exhibition.  This project will treat subway riders to an entertaining spontaneous "moving" art gallery for one hour, one night.

Bring your own art (prints, photos, collages, portable sculptures, etc.) 

DTLA Directions:

-Arrive at Pershing Square at 9:00 pm
-Board 4th cab of the Red Line (to Wilshire/Western) promptly at 9:15 pm
-Set up your artwork as quickly and unobtrusively as possible
-Arrive at North Hollywood station at 9:31 pm
-Remove art and join North Hollywood participants on the platform
-Board fourth cab of the Red Line (to Pershing Square) at 9:44 pm 
-Set up your artwork as quickly and unobtrusively as possible
-Arrive at Pershing Square station at 10:00 pm
-PARTY amongst yourselves

North Hollywood Directions:

-Arrive at North Hollywood station at 9:40 pm
-Meet with DTLA participants on the platform
-Board fourth cab of the Red Line (to Pershing Square) at 9:44 pm
-Set up your artwork as quickly and unobtrusively as possible
-Arrive at Pershing Square station at 10:00 pm
-PARTY amongst yourselves

Free

9:00pm - 10:00pm

Pershing Square Metro Red and Purple Line Station
500 S Hill St
Los Angeles 90017

SATURDAY, JANUARY 5TH


Sometime's New Year's Eve sucks, in which case, it's nice to have a do over.  Get your bootie over to Bootie LA.

Bootie creators A Plus D are coming down from San Francisco to join LA resident DJ ShyBoy.  Resident dance crew R.A.I.D. will have a special Midnight Mashup Show, along with their usual go-go antics, and SceneSnaps will be there to catch the madness, giving you another chance to get some great party pics for your Facebook profile.

$6 before 10 pm, $12 after / 21+


Free “Best of Bootie 2012″ mashup CDs to the first 100 people through the door!

9:00pm-2:00am

Bootie LA
1154 Glendale Ave
Los Angeles 90026

SUNDAY, JANUARY 6TH

Nothing.  Am I wrong? Email me your event submission here.

Follow @LaHappenings for daily event updates.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: