Friday, January 18, 2013

The City Prolific: Weekend Events Jan 18 - 20

The weather is back to normal, and some people are rejoicing. Others, like me, are reluctant to turn their backs on winter. Having to re-adapt my wardrobe to 80 degree weather is a project.

I went for a walk today, along Santa Monica between Gower and Cahuenga. When I returned to my office, I was dripping sweat under my jeans, tall boots, and long sleeve blouse.  Someday I'll have to begin dressing like an angeleno, in flowy skirts and dresses, short shorts, and battered tshirts. When I do, I'll look to StreetGeist for inspiration. Although, lately, because our weather was cool, almost like a proper winter, their subjects were fairly bundled up.

It's weird, this whole nice weather all the time thing. Not that I'm complaining. But I wonder if it will ever be in my blood. A major part of me doesn't want it to - I like that my blood has seasons. That's how I understand life, transition, change, age. Seasons.

What is in my blood, though, is the city. This city, that city - doesn't matter, as long as there is stuff to do, culture to experience, food to taste, things to see.  That said, not a whole lot going on this weekend that's worth writing about.  Here are a few selects:

FRIDAY, JANUARY 18

John C. Reilly and Friends at the Bootleg


I heard John C. Reilly on KPCC this morning, talking about his blue grass band. He is the sweetest, most salt-of-the-earth guy, I just want to hang out with him. I was smiling ear to ear listening to his teddy bear voice.  He ended the interview by saying, "I love KPCC! I'm a KPCC listener!"

John C. Reilly and Friends appear at the Bootleg tonight.

$10:00

Doors: 8:00 pm / Show: 9:00 pm

Bootleg Bar
2220 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90057

SATURDAY, JANUARY 19

Bootie LA





































Go get wild with a bunch of twenty-somethings in Echo Park at this notorious and messy dance party.  Midnight Mashup Show and go-go eye candy from resident dance crew: R.A.I.D. (Random Acts of Irreverent Dance). Get your oh-so-slick facebook pic taken in the photo boot by scenesnaps.com

$6 before 10 PM, $12 after (21+ only)

9pm–late

Echoplex
1154 Glendale Blvd. (Back Entrance)
Echo Park, Los Angeles

SUNDAY, JANUARY 20

Kiera Hated Improv (A Very Special Catsby)


Catsby is one of the most fun indie improv shows around, organized by one of my favorite people ever, screenwriter and funny guy Chad Damiani.  On January 21st, 2012, one of CAT BATH's original members and Chad's longtime girlfriend Kiera Goodman passed away after an 18-month battle with cancer.   In honor of her memory, all of the proceeds of Sunday's show will be donated to one of her favorite charities, Karma Rescue.

Follow @LAhappenings for daily event updates.

No comments: